Pages


Sunday, June 6, 2010

Book Review - House of Dark Shadows (Dreamhouse Kings) by Robert Liparulo


















Title: House of Dark Shadows (Dreamhouse Kings)  
Author: Robert Liparulo
Year: 2008 
Page: 304 
Genre: Fiction - Young Adult

New to me author? Yes 
Read this author again? Maybe...
Tearjerker? No 
Where did it take place? US
FTC Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Summary (from amazon.com):
Dream house . . . or bad dream? When the Kings move from L.A. to a secluded small town, fifteen-year-old Xander is beyond disappointed. He and his friends loved to create amateur films . . . but the tiny town of Pinedale is the last place a movie buff and future filmmaker wants to land. But he, David, and Toria are captivated by the many rooms in the old Victorian fixer-upper they moved into--as well as the heavy woods surrounding the house. They soon discover there's something odd about the house. Sounds come from the wrong directions. Prints of giant, bare feet appear in the dust. And when David tries to hide in the linen closet, he winds up in locker 119 at his new school. Then the really weird stuff kicks in: they find a hidden hallway with portals leading off to far-off places--in long-ago times. Xander is starting to wonder if this kind of travel is a teen's dream come true . . . or his worst nightmare.


First Sentence:
The walls of the house absorbed the woman's screams, until they felt to her as muffled and pointless as yelling underwater.  

Why did I pick this book?
Browsing the new YA book shelves at the library. Creep house? Sounds interesting! 

My thoughts:
  • I think I'd have enjoyed it a lot more if I were a teenager (especially if I was a boy). I didn't find it particularly creepy or scary or adventurous.
  • There were lots of unsolved questions - but this is just Book 1 and I think so far there are 6 books in the series? But I didn't care about the characters enough to read the next one. The book did answer one question (why the dad decided to move his family to this town) which was a nice little twist.
  • I did the protagonist's little sister's name, Toria. 
  • I am reviewing this YA book as an adult, and it's just not for me...

    Quote:

    He lowered his eyes to his Dad's face. There was fear there. Fear. When your dad was frightened, there was something to be frightened about.  (p251)
     
    Rating: 2 Stars

     
    Have you read this book? 
    If you have, I would love to hear what you think! I'll link your review here if you wish!


    Challenges:
    100+ Reading
    Young Adult

    2 comments:

    1. oh, sorry you didn't enjoy this one. It happens...

      I haven't heard of this one. It doesn't sound like one i'd enjoy either.

      ReplyDelete
    2. @Jennifer - I think some YA books are well received by adults, but some are just better for YA, and I think this is one of them. I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I was a teenager!

      ReplyDelete