Pages


Sunday, January 13, 2013

Book Review - The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey



The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

*** This review most likely include spoilers, so read at your own risk! ***

First book of the year. It's been getting cold here so reading this book is quite fitting. I was captivated by the imagery and wondered whether the child was real or not (fairy tale re-tell, remember?) and what'd happen. My favorite character is Esther, the neighbor. She's just a hoot. The rest of the characters are not as well developed and seemed too flat or too stereotypical.

In the end, this book is just okay to me because nothing really happens... well fine, stuff happens, but there wasn't a climax and the plot is flat. I didn't really feel much emotion one way or the other about the ending... and I use how emotional I get to gauge how much I like a book.

So 3 Stars out of 5 only for me.

Note - The book was borrowed from the library.



All reviews and posts are copyrighted by Christa @ Mental Foodie. Please do not use or reprint them without written permission.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't like this as much as I did! I just loved it. And usually I agree that I need more to "happen"! But I loved the prose and the development of the relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm disappointed to see a 3 but I'm still looking forward to it. Hope your next book is better. My first was a DNF, so you are doing better than me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may be in the minority for this one. I still am not intrigued to try it. To bad for your first of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer! I have this on my wish list, but now I'm thinking I may not love it.

    ReplyDelete