Pages


Monday, February 22, 2010

Chinese Book Review - 三毛傳

 

三毛傳 (San-mao chuan / Biography of Sanmao)

By 孫永超, 陸士清, 楊幼力

  • I'd read a few books by popular Taiwanese author Sanmao/Echo Chan when I was in High School, but I don't really remember much about them. I knew she committed suicide a while back, and that her love story with Spaniard Jose was famous among the Chinese people

  • I decided to read this book just to learn more about her as I love reading about writer's life, and I found out there were lots that I didn't know about - she stopped going to school after 8th grade (and what a cruel math teacher she had!), her depression and other mental health issues, why she traveled to 59 countries including the Sahara Dessrt (her memoir about her life in the Sahara Desert was what made her famous), how she and Jose met... it was a fascinating story. It is just so sad that she ended her own life at aged 48, but she was definitely a troubled soul... even when she was just 12.

  • I don't think any of her books had been translated into English. I should see if the library has any of her books in Chinese... I think when I read them now I'll have a better understanding of her stories

No comments:

Post a Comment