Pages


Monday, February 18, 2013

Book Review - The Cross Examination of Oliver Finney by Randy Singer



The Cross Examination of Oliver Finney by Randy Singer

I came across this book because I was reading review on another book by the same author (forgot which one, maybe the latest?) and one of the reviews said his/her favorite of this author is The Cross Examination of Oliver Finney instead. The premise sounds interesting ("Faith on Trial" - a reality game show about religion, and all contestants were lawyers and had to defend their faith) - now I don't have a religion, but I want to keep an open mind to learn about different ones. Anyway, it wasn't until I looked at my Goodreads record that I found I'd actually read another book by the same author -  By Reason of Insanity - back in 2008. I gave it 4 Stars then, but honestly I don't recall much of it. I don't usually remember much with this type of fiction though (legal thrillers, murder/mystery... these are my "fluffs").

Anyway this was a fun read. I especially liked the part about breaking codes, so much so that I went to reserve The Code Book by Simon Singh which the author referred to. Another interesting aspect is that the author actually wrote a non-fiction called The Cross Examination of Jesus Christ, and this non-fiction book was referred to in this fictional book, in which it was pretended that the main protagonist wrote the non-fiction one :) Now, I don't recall the previous book I read was a Christian legal thriller, and this book definitely biased towards Christianity, for no reason other than that the main protagonist was a Christian. Thankfully that it did not seem preachy and so I was able to enjoy the story.

Story wise I'd give it 3.5 Stars, Character wise maybe 3 Stars (a bit flat and stereotypical), but I really enjoyed reading about code cracking, so will change that to 4 Stars. 


Note - The book was borrowed from the library.



All reviews and posts are copyrighted by Christa @ Mental Foodie. Please do not use or reprint them without written permission.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is the author that a colleague was talking about, I am still on the fence about trying it.

    Guess what.... I'm reading Human Bobby, really enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the code cracking part - fascinating stuff. I didn't know the author was a Christian author beforehand though, but I just read that as part of the plot. Glad you're enjoying the Human Bobby! Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Not something I'd have picked up based on the title or cover... but am so, so glad I did!

      Delete