Pages


Monday, October 28, 2013

Book Review - Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell


Eleanor and Park

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

From Goodreads:

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.


This book has gotten so much rave. And I found it just okay. In fact, I like it a bit less than the author's other book I'd just reviewed last week - Fangirl.

There were parts that I quite like - the sweet memories of when you just started going out with your first love, how you felt kinda awkward and nervous and excited, how you just wanted to spend all the time together and didn't know what is okay or not okay to say because you didn't want him/her to think you are weird... yeah, the author captured those feelings quite well and you nodded as you remembered.

But I felt that the characters didn't quite develop, like Eleanor and Park's relationship started out of nowhere, and the ending had me baffled. It seemed like a chapter was missing.

I'd say it again though that Rowell's writing was easy to read, as I was able to finish it in just a couple of days. Which is not easy to do nowadays!

2.5 Stars.

Note - The book was borrowed from the library.



All reviews and posts are copyrighted by Christa @ Mental Foodie. Please do not use or reprint them without written permission.

4 comments:

  1. I liked how the ending was left slightly ambiguous but I felt like it didn't have to be. I could come up with only positive things that could have been on that postcard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like ambiguous endings lol. Too many ambiguities in real life already, and the authors have the power to control the characters' fate so use it lol! Maybe I am just too much of a control freak :)

      Delete
  2. I liked this one much more than you did, but I understand your comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am not really into YA or chicklit type of book... keep wanting to try though!

      Delete