Pages


Sunday, October 31, 2010

Book Review - The Faculty Club by Danny Tobey














Title: The Faculty Club
Author: Danny Tobey
Year: 2010
Page: 320
Genre: Fiction - Thriller

New to me author? Yes
Read this author again? Probably not
Tearjerker? No
Where did it take place? US
FTC Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Summary (from goodreads.com):
At the world’s most exclusive law school, there’s a secret society rumored to catapult its members to fame and fortune. Everyone is dying to get in...

Jeremy Davis is the rising star of his first-year class. He’s got a plum job with the best professor on campus. He’s caught the eye of a dazzling Rhodes scholar named Daphne. But something dark is stirring behind the ivy. When a mysterious club promises success beyond his wildest dreams, Jeremy uncovers a macabre secret older than the university itself. In a race against time, Jeremy must stop an ancient ritual that will sacrifice the lives of those he loves most and blur the lines between good and evil.

In this extraordinary debut thriller, Danny Tobey offers a fascinating glimpse into the rarefied world of an elite New England school and the unthinkable dangers that lie within its gates. He deftly weaves a tale of primeval secrets and betrayal into an ingenious brain teaser that will keep readers up late into the night.

Packed with enigmatic professors, secret codes, hidden tunnels, and sinister villains, The Faculty Club establishes Danny Tobey as this season’s most thrilling new author.



First Sentence:
I remember my mother's reaction when I got accepted to the greatest law school in the world. 
  
Why did I pick this book?
I saw it on the "new book" shelves at the library a few months back and borrowed it - I was attracted by its cover and the premise. I ended up not having time to read it and returned it. Then I saw it again a couple of weeks back, the premise still sounded very interesting (Secret Club!) so thought I'd try it again.


My thoughts:
  • It started off very promising and interesting... and then it went downhill from there. It got unrealistic and then weird. I think it was trying too hard to be a story (think Indiana Jones or the Da Vinci Code) full of puzzles and adventures that it became too much of a cliche.
  • I didn't quite like any of the characters, and some characters didn't get to develop much (and they set up to have bigger roles)
  • The ending was disappointing too
  • I guess I did learn a couple of new things: Ship of Theseus (p259) and "Shepardizing" legal cases



    Rating: 1 Star



     
    Have you read this book? 
    If you have, I would love to hear what you think! I'll link your review here if you wish!


    Challenges:
    100+ Reading

    No comments:

    Post a Comment