Pages


Sunday, October 24, 2010

Book Review - Mockingjay (#3 of the Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins













Title: Mockingjay (#3 of the Hunger Games)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Year: 2010
Page: 398
Genre: Fiction - Young Adult, Dystopian

New to me author? No
Read this author again? Maybe...
Tearjerker? No
Where did it take place? US
FTC Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Summary (from goodreads.com):
Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.



First Sentence:
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
  
Why did I pick this book?
I really liked The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, so of course I have to read #3 in the series!


My thoughts:
  • What a big disappointment!!!
  • Okay, now that's out... It was a big let down - the Katniss that I liked, instead of showing courage and strength, became whiny and acted on impulse. Now, maybe it was realistic in real life that, under the circumstances she went through, she'd have changed somewhat... but still. Everything in the book became too cliche, and I guessed part of the ending.
  • I know some people didn't like it because too many characters died. That's not really the reason I didn't like it. I just thought the plot was no where near as engaging, and at parts, slow and boring. Not sure if the "afterword" was really necessary either. Typically I prefer books with sad endings rather than happy endings (make them more memorable) - but either way is still better than flat endings like this one!
  • Team P or Team G? After reading the book, I couldn't even care less. While I liked that the author didn't focus on the romance throughout the book, I thought the outcome of the relationship was forced, and well, was too convenient
  • I did like that we got to know Prim a bit better, and saw her mature and developed more
  • I also liked that we got to see another side of Haymitch
  • Am I the only one who got confused about Flavius and Fluvia???
  • I have to say though, the recent rescue of the Chilean minors, reminded me of Katniss' and Gale's dads in the mines in District 12. I am glad we DO have a happen ending with the Chilean miners!
  • Overall, would I recommend this series? I am a bit torn. The first 2 books, definitely. But Book 3 was disappointing. I suppose I'd still recommend the series, and let you be the judge, since there ARE fans out there who do like Book 3. Maybe I need to read their reviews to see why - I may be missing something (I have been avoiding reviews in case of spoilers... and of course there was one comment I read that revealed too much of one of the character, argh!)

    Quote:
    Underground, where I dread dying, which is stupid because even if I die aboveground, the next thing they'll do is bury me underground anyway (p296).

     
    Rating: 2 Stars



     
    Have you read this book? 
    If you have, I would love to hear what you think! I'll link your review here if you wish!


    Challenges:
    100+ Reading
    Young Adult

    2 comments:

    1. I got Flavius and Fulvia mixed up, too! The names were just too similar, and even though one was male and one was female, it kept tripping me up. Same thing with the presidents, actually. Snow and Coin. With four letters each, they were too similar in my mind (even though they sound nothing alike... it was probably because I was reading, and the confusion came from the visual similarity).

      I didn't care much about the love triangle after all that, either. I kept vacillating between Peeta and Gale (leaning more towards Gale), but now I don't like either of them. I've never seen a love triangle where the author blows it so badly that you end up wanting the heroine to be with nobody!

      ReplyDelete
    2. @La Coccinelle - Flavius and Fulvia definitely were way too close for me! I was leaning towards G too but in the end, like you, I didn't care for either of them either. I don't hate them, but they just weren't the same anymore...

      ReplyDelete