Pages


Sunday, January 1, 2012

Review Reading Goals in 2011

Let's reflect - these were my 10 reading goals set on 1/1/11. Let's see how badly I did lol:

  1. Quality over quantity. If I can reach 100 books again for the 4th year in a row - fine. If not, I won't stress out much about it.

    Well, it depends on whether you count the Chinese books I read!
    I read
    71 Fiction
    , 24 Non-Fiction, and 16 Chinese books. Thus in total - 95 (excluding Chinese books) or 111 (including Chinese books). Granted, quite a few of the Chinese books were graphic novels... so I'd let you be the judge. I probably would have finished over 100 (excluding Chinese) but I was in a reading slump starting in October. I was still reading, but my pace had slowed down A LOT. I usually read 2 books a week, but now it usually takes me at least a week to finish a book... To see the complete list of books I read in 2011, see here.



  2. Read approximately half fiction and half non-fiction 

    BIG FAILED! I read roughly 3 Fiction : 1 Non-Fiction instead... I blamed other blogs lol, since most of you read fiction, and so many of the books you read sounded so good!


  3. Continue to blog every book, hopefully within a week

    BIG FAILED! It started of well, but in the second half of the year I fell way behind due to work. In fact, I am still not done with all my reviews yet...  25 to go! I guess I read faster than I blog...



  4. Let's see if I can stick to doing BTT every week!

    Another BIG FAILED! I think I did just once (the New Year resolution about setting up 2011 goals!) I guess I sometimes forget to read BTT every Thursday, and I don't always blog on Thursday ( prefer blogging on Friday night and over the weekend, when I don't have to worry about getting up early the next day).



  5. Keep recommending books to others and encourage non-readers to discover the magic of books!

    YES! I definitely did. When it comes to fiction, I usually recommend according to the reader's taste. The book I specifically recommended at least 4 times this year though, was
    My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
    by Jill Bolte Taylor - another blogger's brother suffered a stroke, a co-worker's mother suffered a stroke, a husband of a friend of someone else I kinda know suffered a stroke, and my sister-in-law who  works with people who may have had brain injury in the past so I thought this may help her communicate with them... I actually read this back in 2009, but it comes in handy (unfortunately....)



  6. As much as I love my local library, I should at least read 10 of my own books... there are 170+ waiting...

    Well, it again depends on how you look at it... If you only count the books I bought myself, then it's only ONE BOOK. However, I did read another 18 books that I didn't borrow from the library, but I received them this year as part of a book tour or ARC reviews...



  7. Give audio books a try, while trying to exercise (bought an elliptical and have hardly used it... because I'd rather use the time to read instead... and I can't read it and use it at the same time. Perhaps audio books will help lower the opportunity cost)

    FAILED! I borrowed them, but didn't end up listening to them as I'd hoped... which also meant I didn't use my elliptical either. Oops.



  8. Read 5 books with husband - he prefers audio books and I prefer reading. So to spend more quality time together, maybe we'll pick a book and I'll read to him instead. We did one book together last year and it seemed to work quite well. Since English is not my first language, he can correct my pronunciation too. Kill multiple birds with one stone :)

    We completed 2 books together (
    Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua and Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff) and we had started another 3 but didn't finish yet as I needed to return them to the library (Steve Jobs, Unbroken, and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.)



  9. Read 5 books I won't normally choose. Even if I can't finish, at least give it a try.

    I'd say yes - I tried historical fiction, historical non-fiction, chick lit, magical realism, literary fiction, women's fiction... Most of my fiction books were rated between 2 to 3.5 Stars though, I think mostly because I was reading out of my comfort zone. Some ended up being very good, but most were just so-so for me. I am glad I gave it a try this year so find out what I really like, and don't like.



  10. Just enjoy reading... it shouldn't be a chore

    I'd say yes - I abandoned 15 books in 2011!! You can see what they are at the bottom of this post.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no you had to take SJobs back to bad.

    Bless you for the recommendation, definitely a good one, so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Marce - I had reserved Steve Jobs again so just need to wait for it to come in! We read 170 pages and it's like a 656 pages book! I can only read it out loud for so long before I get thirsty and tired lol :)

    ReplyDelete