Pages


Friday, May 28, 2010

Book Review - Poison Study by Maria V Snyder




















Title: Poison Study
Author: Maria V Snyder 
Year: 2008x  
Page: 416x  
Genre: Fiction - Fantasy

New to me author? Yes 
Read this author again? Yes 
Tearjerker? No 
Where did it take place? US?
FTC Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Summary (from amazon.com):
Shivers, obsession, sleepless nights—these are the results not of one of the milder poisons that novice food-taster Yelena must learn during her harrowing job training but of newcomer Snyder's riveting fantasy that unites the intelligent political focus of George R.R. Martin with a subtle yet potent romance. Through a stroke of luck, Yelena escapes execution in exchange for tasting the food of the Commander, ruler of Ixia. Though confined to a dank prison cell and doomed to a painful death, Yelena slowly blooms again, caught up in castle politics. But some people are too impatient to wait for poison to finish off Yelena. With the help of Valek, her steely-nerved, cool-eyed boss and the Commander's head of security, she soon discovers that she has a starring role to play in Ixia's future—a role that could lead to her being put to death as a budding magician even if she hits each cue perfectly. The first in a series, this is one of those rare books that will keep readers dreaming long after they've read it.

First Sentence:
Locked in darkness that surrounded me like a coffin, I had nothing to distract me from my memories.
 
Why did I pick this book?
I haven't heard of Maria V Snyder before. Saw a review on om The Library of a Distracted Musician about this book and it sounds like it has an interesting premise! 

My thoughts:
  • I quite enjoyed it! Not quite as much as I like The Hunger Games, but I thought it was a fun book, and I went to book #2 (Magic Study) and #3 (Fire Study) after I finished this book!
  • I wish though that it talks a little bit more about poison and poison testing
  • While this book is classified as Fantasy in my library, it isn't like the typical fantasy book at all - I don't really read fantasy - my last effort was probably back in high school, of David Eddings' The Diamond Throne series (don't really remember the story now). I like this type of fantasy books :) 
  • I like the characters as well - Yelena, Valek, Ari, Janco, Commander Ambrose...  can't wait to find out what happen to them... though reviews of #2 isn't as good as #1, and #3 is even worse... we'll see...

    Quote:

    I felt like the unlucky cockroach that got caught by the light. Always scrambling to stay one step ahead while the shadow of a boot crept closer. (p64)
     
    Rating: 4 Stars



     
    Have you read this book? 
    If you have, I would love to hear what you think! I'll link your review here if you wish!


    Challenges:
    100+ Reading

    No comments:

    Post a Comment