Pages


Monday, May 3, 2010

Book Review - The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and Teeth, Book 2) by Carrie Ryan




















Title: The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and Teeth, Book 2) Carrie Ryan
Author: Carrie Ryan
Year: 2010
Page: 416
Genre: Fiction - Young Adult, Dystopian   


New to me author? No
Read this author again? Possibly
Tearjerker? No
Where did it take place? US   

FTC Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Summary (from amazon.com):    

Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves. 



First Sentence:  
The story goes that even after the Return they tried to keep the roller coasters going.


Why did I pick this book?
Well, since I read the first book (The Forrest of Hands and Teeth), and some blog reviews said the 2nd book is better, I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't dislike the first book to not read the 2nd one.

My thoughts:
  • I do like this better than the first book - I like the protagonist, Gabry, better - I could relate to her more. Plus it also answered some of the unanswered questions from the first book.
  • However, I didn't like Gabry as much towards the end of the book, she seems more "fluffy", but maybe again I'm showing my age and not thinking how teenagers feel!
  • The names in this book (e.g. Catcher, Cira, etc are more unusual than those in the first book - Marry, Harry, Travis). I think because it's set in a different era - I won't explain how this book is related to the first one, you'll find out soon enough in the first few chapters, and my suspicious was confirmed :)
  •  Also guessed correctly some of the other plots. The ending again set up for a 3rd book, which we know will be coming out next year... 
  •  Still like the Hunger Games better - not just the storyline but the writing as well. I found sometimes I skimmed pages in these 2 books just to find out what happened. I do like this series better than Twilight though.
  • Also like the cover, I think it suits the story
    Rating:    3.5 Stars



    Have you read this book? 
    If you have, I would love to hear what you think! I'll link your review here if you wish!
    Challenges:
    100+ Reading
    Young Adult

    No comments:

    Post a Comment