Pages


Saturday, June 26, 2010

Book Review - The Last Will of Moira Leahy: A Novel by Therese Walsh













Title: The Last Will of Moira Leahy: A Novel
Author: Therese Walsh
Year: 2009 
Page: 288 
Genre: Fiction - Supernatural / Paranormal

New to me author? Yes 
Read this author again? Maybe 
Tearjerker? No 
Where did it take place? US and Rome, Italy
FTC Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Summary (from goodreads.com):
This haunting debut novel explores the intense bond of sisterhood as a grieving twin searches for her own identity in the ruins of her sister’s past.


First Sentence:
I lost my tiwn to a harsh November nine years ago.  

Why did I pick this book?
I read The Book Book's review about this book, and she made it sounded so magical! She wrote, "Never in my life have I read a book so emotionally moving. The Last Will of Moira Leahy left me breathless. Speechless. And then crying in my shower later." Is that not a high compliment?

My thoughts:
  • I enjoyed this book - even if I didn't like the main protagonist, Maeve, much. But I liked the supporting cast - Garrick, Noel, Kit, Maeve's dad... I'd love to go to Garrick's antique shop, Time After Time! Maeve wasn't very likable but she had her reasons, so at least that explained why she acted the way she did
  • You kinda needed to have an open mind when reading this book - there were some mystical elements in it. The clever thing was Maeve didn't really believe in them either so you could explore along with her. I definitely liked the back story about Maeve's childhood better than the present day happenings. The almost-ending in Rome was the part I liked the least, everything seemed to fit in too easily, and reducing it to a 3.5 instead of a 4 stars book for me
  • I always find  how twins communicate fascinating - so if you are into twin books, you'll like this!
  • Judging by the book title alone, it wouldn't have made me picked up this book. I could understand why they picked this title after reading it, but I thought it could have been better... something a bit more enticing?
  • Something I learned: eling = remember. Keris = daggers (google some images to see how cool they are! Not your typical daggers! Now I wish I have one :)
  • The chapters alternated between the past and the present. I don't think I'd read another book written in this format where the past was written in 3rd person, and the present was written in 1st person (Maeve). As I read the chapters about the past, I sometimes got Maeve and Moira confused, and I think the author did that on purpose (if I explain further it'd become spoilers!)
  • The cover is pretty!

    Quote:

         "I believe love is the purpose of all knowledge. Sometimes knowledge comes to us through books, but also it comes through suffering," he said. "I can see you have suffered, Maeve Leahy. Now you may live a better life."
         "Thank you, Empu Putra, for everything, " I said, stepping into the hall.
         "Open yourself to your loved ones and they will not have to resort to such measures to get your attention." (p263)

    Rating: 3.5 Stars 



     
    Have you read this book? 
    If you have, I would love to hear what you think! I'll link your review here if you wish!


    Challenges:
    100+ Reading

    No comments:

    Post a Comment