Pages


Sunday, October 23, 2011

Book Review - Night Road by Kristin Hannah



Title: Night Road
Author: Kristin Hannah 
Year: 2011
Page: 385
Genre: Fiction - Women

FTC Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Summary (from goodreads.com):
For a mother, life comes down to a series of choices.
To hold on…
To let go..
To forget…
To forgive…
Which road will you take?


For eighteen years, Jude Farraday has put her children’s needs above her own, and it shows—her twins, Mia and Zach—are bright and happy teenagers. When Lexi Baill moves into their small, close knit community, no one is more welcoming than Jude. Lexi, a former foster child with a dark past, quickly becomes Mia’s best friend. Then Zach falls in love with Lexi and the three become inseparable.

Jude does everything to keep her kids safe and on track for college. It has always been easy-- until senior year of high school. Suddenly she is at a loss. Nothing feels safe anymore; every time her kids leave the house, she worries about them.

On a hot summer’s night her worst fears come true. One decision will change the course of their lives. In the blink of an eye, the Farraday family will be torn apart and Lexi will lose everything. In the years that follow, each must face the consequences of that single night and find a way to forget…or the courage to forgive.

NIGHT ROAD is vivid, emotionally complex novel that raises profound questions about motherhood, identity, love, and forgiveness. It is a luminous, heartbreaking novel that captures both the exquisite pain of loss and the stunning power of hope. This is Kristin Hannah at her very best, telling an unforgettable story about the longing for family, the resilience of the human heart, and the courage it takes to forgive the people we love.


First Sentence:
She stands at the hairpin turn on Night Road.

My Thoughts:

  • I haven't read Kristin Hannah before, but Tea Time with Marce convinced me to give this one as try as she gave it 5 stars (see her review here)!
  • I don't know if it's because I am not a mum, but women's fiction, as well as chick lit, just don't really appeal to me :( I found the story too predictable. The prologue gave away too much.
  • I also thought the characters were too stereotypical. At first I did like the mum Jude (even if she was a little over protective, but I think if I was a mum I would be too) but then she became unlikeable. I suppose if she was too likable then it became unrealistic too.
  • The writing was easy enough to read, so that's a plus.
  • This book did get lots of good reviews, so I think it's just me not liking family drama. This seems too much like a Hallmark/Lifetime movie. Though  I did get slightly teary eyed a little.



Quote: 
But i know that justice and revenge are two different things. (p204)

Overall Rating:
 

2 Stars. A bit too predictable for me.


All reviews and posts are copyrighted by Christa @ Mental Foodie. Please do not use or reprint them without written permission.

4 comments:

  1. OMG you gave it a 2, OMG :-) I loved so many things about this book. All of what you didn't like is what she writes so she is not an author for you. I prefer her to Jodi Picoult, do you like her books?

    I'm a mom and I read this during a really vulnerable time (dealing with my brother) it just gripped me in a way I still remember, totally loved it.

    You are starting to give me a complex on recommending to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Marce - I have read 2 Jodi Picoult's books. I loved The Sister's Keeper (both the book and the movie, even though the ending was different) but I gave The Pact 2 stars only (http://mentalfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/07/book-review-pact-by-jodi-picoult.html) - pretty much for the reason reason as this one. I always wonder whether my reading taste would change if I was a mum. Now that I am a cat-mum, I definitely feel more when I read articles on abandoned cats etc. So who knows. Hehehe, don't worry about recommendation, I still like to read about different thoughts on the same books. Often time others' opinion bring up thoughts I never even thought about before. I am just glad that we can all enjoy different books and there is no shortage of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So get this we are the same on JodiP. I have read the same as you, loved Sisters Keeper and hated The Pact, was so angry that was the ending, lol.

    I do love when we have different opinions. Dan Wells wasn't a shocker with the explaination this one you gave me a open mouthed shocker, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Marce - so funny we are on the same page on JodiP :) I don't even remember The Pact's ending lol. Hehe didn't mean to give you an open mouthed shocker! I don't hate this (that'd be a zero or 0.5 star :) but just not my cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete