Pages


Monday, October 31, 2011

NaNoWriMo.

NaNoWriMo.

http://www.nanowrimo.org

National Novel Writing Month (i.e. November).

Have you done it? Are you doing it this year?

I heard about it for a couple of years now, and I am still deciding whether to do it this year (still have 20 minutes to decide! :)

At one point in my life, I did want to be a writer, but the story sounded so much in my head than on paper (it was in Chinese though). One of the "50 things to do before I die" on my list is to write a book, regardless of subject, so we'll see if that can ever be achieved.

If I do decide to give it a try this year, it really isn't to finish a novel (I am not that naive!) but to see if I can develop a habit or writing. To see if I have the discipline to do so (ha! maybe I'd procrastinate on writing and go on to exercise instead! See? No discipline here...) And to go experience what authors really do. I know I don't give a good rating to all the books I read, but as I stress, it's me, not the author or their book, that's the problem.

Just as I don't like every painting out there. Just as my clients don't like every image I photograph. Just as I don't like every dish I eat at restaurants.

But it doesn't mean I can't try it to see what they have to go through - e.g. many people think photographing a wedding is easy. Let me tell you it really isn't. Click the shutter is easy, but there are a lot of behind the scene stuff that non-professionals don't think about.

If I do try, I don't really have anything planned out like I see many people do. I think that'd deter me at this stage.

Makes me wonder how many avid readers secretly want to be an author :)

1 comment:

  1. You know, people always assume that I want to write a book. Especially now that I have the blog. And I've toyed with the idea. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I think at the end of the day, I've decided - and not that you can't be both - but I'm a reader not a writer.

    ReplyDelete