Pages


Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Book Review - Odd Jobs by Ben Lieberman



Title: Odd Jobs
Author: Ben Lieberman
Year: 2011
Page: 252
Genre: Fiction - Thriller

FTC Disclosure: Elaine Krackau from PR by the Book contacted me and asked if I'd like to receive a copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review

Summary (from goodreads.com):
Ten years ago, Kevin Davenport's life was rocked after witnessing the murder of his father. It's tough enough growing up without a father, but now there's not enough money to support himself, his mother and college tuition. But Kevin doesn't give up so easily. He never gets the luxury of a "normal job" and is always on the hustle. And this time is no different. He finds himself working in the corrupt Kosher World Meat Factory, a gritty business controlled by a crime syndicate and filled with a bizarre cast of characters who start turning up dead. Things are never as they seem as Kevin begins to get a little too involved in the lives of hardened criminals. Soon enough, he finds himself in a battle for his life.

First Sentence:
Just when I thought I could pull it off, I let out a double tequila burp.

My Thoughts:

  • I picked this book because the premise sounded exciting. I am always on the look out for new thriller authors! Endorsement from James Patterson didn't hurt either.

  • This is a fast-paced novel, however, it may be a bit too fast that there is not much character development.
  • Some of the plots also seemed a bit unrealistic and everything tied in too perfectly. So in the end I was not very engaged either in the character or the story. When the big twist was revealed about Kevin's dad, I wasn't all that surprised.
  • I am probably not the target audience - I think this book may be more suitable for college aged males, more like a dude-thriller (the protagonist is an early twenty-something).
  • The part I liked the best was probably the relationship between the protagonist and his "mentor" - it is great to read about those kind of relationship, I just wish it was elaborated more - the friendship, loyalty and the rest
  • This book seemed to be set up as a series though, so maybe more character development will emerge 
  • The book title stood out, and fit the story. The cover was pretty typical of this genre though, and not something I'd have picked from a line up. 

Overall Rating:


2 Stars. I am not the target audience.


All reviews and posts are copyrighted by Christa @ Mental Foodie. Please do not use or reprint them without written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment