Pages


Saturday, November 26, 2011

Happenings...

I am in a reading slump AND blogging slump.

I am still reading, but very slowly. Only read when I am multi-tasking, e.g. when I am eating lunch, or feeding the cats (I have to sit there to watch them eat to make sure they only eat out from their own plate), or on the bus. Well I am reading Steve Jobs with my husband, but since I am reading it out loud to him, the speed is much slower (and boy, is my husband an Apple nerd or what? He knows a lot of the stuff already... so much so that he could finish the NEXT sentence before I even started at times...). I think my mind has just been preoccupied with other stuff, like watching TV series or movies, doing some online research about something (which could lead to something exciting if it came true)... There are lots of books I want to read, but have been holding off on reading them as I don't want to start and not be able to finish because of my slump (rather than not really liking the books.)

I took a week of work for a mental break earlier, and was really in a blogging mood. But after I got back to work, I got too busy again to blog...

Plus I have started a photography project with a friend, so will have to work on editing the photos, which takes a lot more time than shooting the photos. But it is something I am very excited about, as it is about giving back.

As for NaNoWriMo - I started a story (adult dystopian), but that's all I had done. Well, that's more than I'd ever written I suppose! I stopped because I am not ready to write this story yet - I guess I had wondered why some writers had said that (not ready to write a particular story) when I read about their writing processes, and never understood it until now. I have another story in mind though, so I'd start that sometime later, even if NaNoWriMo is coming to a close.

So I guess this November I'd just been "resting". But I guess we all need that sometime! And I am glad I have the luxury to rest.

8 comments:

  1. Whatever you do PLEASE don't give up your blog. In 2 years 3 of my favourite bloggers have gave up their blogs and you and another are slowing down.

    I don't mind if you don't post often as I enjoy your posts.

    Don't you hate slumps - I am reading We need to Talk about Kevin, omg, what an intense read but I have feared slump due to the intensity.

    I love the idea that you read out loud to hubby, such a sweet connection time.

    Enjoy the photography project, sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Marce - I don't have any plans to stop the blog (not in the near future anyway!) I do like blogging, just need to find the time / be in the mood for it! I am actually in the mood for a meaningful and emotional read, an epic love story or something... I do like reading out loud to hubby, it's a good way for us to spend time together since most of the time we're on our respective computers lol. Will share more of the photo project if possible... thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gals, we are in the same mood. I'm slowly starting to come out of my slump. You and Marce are two of my favorites.
    I think it's okay to slow down for the holidays. That's how I am trying to look at it. I just picked up a Graphic Novel and finished it in two hours. That helped boost my reading confidence.
    My hubs and I used to read to each other when we first started dating. It's fun, isn't it?
    take care and rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Michelle - thanks for saying that I'm one of your favorites! Thanks to Marce we get to know each other :) Graphic novels is a good idea... I have some I can read, plus some YA too... yes it's fun to read to hubby except it takes a lot longer to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having a slump. I hope things pick up soon for you! It sounds like you've had a lot going on though, so don't be too hard on yourself. I've always been too intimidated to take on NaNoWriMo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it is good to just rest and feel rejuvenated. I was away from the blog during Thanksgiving, but I think I need some more recovery time still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Alyce - I didn't try very hard with NanoWriMo :) Usually when I have a lot going on, I still want to read to escape... but it hasn't been the case... but I'm reading some chicklit graphic novels and it seems to be helping lol even though both aren't really my genre :)

    @Kim - I think it's that time of the year... we'd been busy blogging for 11 months straight! :) Hope you are enjoying your new job and new home town!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a bit late to this conversation but let me throw my hat in the ring - - I have been suffering a reading and reviewing slump as well that I'm just coming out of. I think it happens to all of us at some point.

    Hang in there and thanks for the blog!

    ReplyDelete