Pages


Monday, March 11, 2013

Book Review - Until I Say Good-Bye: My Year of Living with Joy by Susan Spencer-Wendel, Bret Witter



Until I Say Good-Bye: My Year of Living with Joy by Susan Spencer-Wendel, Bret Witter

I don't think I'd teared up so much while reading a book. How could you not, when you read about Susan, who has ALS, deteriorates over time. You are touched by her strength, her courage, her positive attitude, and her love and joy for life; but yet, you can't help but feel sad for her and her husband and her 3 children. I know she wouldn't want us to feel sorry for her, so I won't.

I definitely appreciate this book more now that I have a child. And I can't imagine what I'd do if I was in her shoes.

In a way, this book reminded me of  The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, Jeffrey Zaslow a bit that both Susan and Randy wrote their respective books as a gift for their children, because they know they won't be around when they grow up. And what a gift. It is also a love tribute to her husband, as you can read between the lines the love they have for each other.

An interesting tidbit - because of ALS, Susan who was a reporter, cannot type or write anymore. So she pretty much wrote her whole book using an iPhone with one thumb that she still has control of. She couldn't even use an iPad because the keyboard is too widely spaced for her to move her thumb. Can you imagine.

Go read this one. I have dog-eared so many pages that I would have to read those passages when I feel down in the future. Then I'll remember how lucky I have it. Sometimes we need a kick in the butt like that.

4.5 Stars.

Note - The ARC was given from HarperCollins free in exchange for an unbiased review



All reviews and posts are copyrighted by Christa @ Mental Foodie. Please do not use or reprint them without written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment