Pages


Monday, March 18, 2013

Book Review - Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan




Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Started off listening to it as an audio book when feeding the baby. Then had to return it before I had a chance to finish, and ended up borrowing the book instead. I still like reading more than listening, since I can't seem to remember as much about the plot and got distracted when listening. Guess I am just a visual person.

Anyway.

It was a fun read - it's another puzzle/code-breaking book (read another code-breaking one not too long ago - The Cross Examination of Oliver Finney by Randy Singer), and this time, happened at a book store! Couldn't it be more exciting?

Yeah I am a nerd.

While I had fun reading it though, I think the overall story was just okay. Definitely more plot driven than character driven, which I usually prefer, but I need stories with a bit more emotion. I think this would actually make a better TV movie than a book, because I think the visual would be stunning. You know how there are chic lit for girls? This one would be a good dude lit, especially to the younger crowd.

I still want to work in a book store :)

3 Stars.


Note - The book was borrowed from the library.



All reviews and posts are copyrighted by Christa @ Mental Foodie. Please do not use or reprint them without written permission.

2 comments:

  1. I was disappointed too with this one. It was fun but there was no juice in the plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, though I guess every so often it's okay to read a fun book... kinda like watching a comedy or something that doesn't require much brain power to process you know? :)

      Delete