Pages


Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Book Review - Postcards from a Dead Girl: A Novel by Kirk Farber


 















Title: Postcards from a Dead Girl: A Novel
Author: Kirk Farber
Year: 2010
Page: 272
Genre: Fiction

New to me author? Yes
Read this author again? No
Tearjerker? No
Where did it take place? US
FTC Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Summary (from amazon.com):
Sid Higgins, the appealing, self-deprecating narrator of Farber's poignant, funny debut, has been receiving postcards from his old girlfriend Zoe. Unfortunately, the whimsical Zoe has disappeared, and the postmarks on the cards are more than a year old. Though he doesn't really expect to find her, Sid travels to Europe in search of Zoe. Since Sid works for a travel agency, a slick telephone operation that uses the amusingly named Randomizer to dial potential clients, the trip is easy to arrange. Sid plaintively and self-mockingly relates his interactions with his boss, Steve; his neighbor, Gerald the Post Office Guy; and, most of all, his dog, Zero, whose deftly described postures convey so much, though perhaps not quite as much as Sid reads into them. Sid's older sister, Natalie, a doctor who provides welcome perspective on Sid, is by turns affectionate, irritated, supportive, and occasionally fed up. The reader is likely to feel the same.

First Sentence:
The postcard is everything, but looks like nothing.

Why did I pick this book?
First read the review on Sasha & the Silver Fish's blog. Nothing something I'd normally pick but she made it sounded like a fun read - that's what I love about reading others' blogs - to discover the little gems I won't otherwise find myself.


My thoughts:

  • Okay, I admit it. I don't get this book.
  • There are so many positive reviews out there (in fact, I only saw one not-as-positive review from Mrs Q) so it's probably me. I think I need to be cautious when I see "A Novel" as part of the title (see my other review 31 Hours). I think this is more a character-driven book, than plot-driven. I think I prefer the latter (but of course, best of all is to have both plot and characters well developed).
  • Many people found it funny (giggling while reading it) but I don't think I laughed or giggled once. Just not my type of humor I guess. 
  • There is supposed to be this big twist or big reveal... I wonder if I missed it??? Is it the chapter about how Sid got Zero? If so... it was anti-climatic for me. I am either too dumb or tired (still suffering jet lag...) to figure out the mystery about where the postcards came from? If you could let me know, I'd appreciate it!! (either email me or leave a comment but say SPOILER ALERT so others can avoid it if they want). I hate not knowing the answer of a puzzle!
  • 1 Star because I felt like I did waste my time :( 
  • But I still like the cover - it is cute.


Quote

I do like this paragraph - only because I "memorize" my husband too.

She hummed a random melody, as if I'd never asked the question, and continued to draw odd shapes on my back and shoulders and arms. "I' memorizing you." she finally said. She grabbed my right hand and studied it intensely, brushing her palm against it, gentle repetitions to match her little song. I felt so happy she'd want to memorize me. I felt like God had given me a gift.

But I knew what she was doing. This was another piece of Zoe's cryptic puzzle that, when finally assembled, would reveal the realty that she and I would not always be together. It had never been explained why this was our destiny, but she said things like this to me on a regular basis, like she was waiting for my departure, that separation was a natural, inevitable stage in our relationship. The funny thing is, I think I finally understand she was right. People never stay together forever. If they don't break up or divorce, one will die first, leaving the other in pain. And Zoe knew. (p32-33)



Rating:



Have you read this book? 
If you have, I would love to hear what you think!
I'll link your review here if you wish!


Challenges:
100+ Reading

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I may need to check this out from the library. Something about it intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention.

    I felt like the only person who didn't enjoy this book, I didn't get it as well. I really think it's because it wasn't my type of book.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Juju - yes something about it intrigued me hence I decided to give it a try. Would be interesting to read your thoughts - it seems 99% of the reviews are positive! I think again the ending failed me.

    @Jennifer - I agree that it probably isn't my type of book either... I need closure I think!

    ReplyDelete