Pages


Saturday, April 24, 2010

Book Review - The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain



















Title: The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes
Author: Diane Chamberlain
Year: 206
Page: 512
Genre: Fiction

New to me author? Yes
Read this author again? One more try
Tearjerker? No
Where did it take place? US
FTC Disclosure: Library

Summary:
I won't post the summary, because it really gives the story away...  


First Sentence: 
She couldn't concentrate on making love.

Why did I pick this book?
Charlotte's Web of Books mentioned this author and encouraged everyone to try her out (she reviewed a different book here). She said Chamberlain is similar to Jodi Picoult. I'd only read one Picoult book - My Sister's Keeper but really enjoyed it (now, I know many didn't like the ending, but I was fine with it. I really connected with the characters and was crying my eyes out). So I thought I'd give Chamberlain a try. I went to the library and there were several of her books. I picked the two paperback (already borrowing a lot of books, don't want the big hard cover!) The other one was Breaking the Silence. Decided to read CeeCee first for no particular reason. 


My thoughts:
  • I wish I didn't read the description of the book, or the first chapter of the book. Gave way too much away!
  • After I was done, I felt like I'd just watched a B-grade TV movie.
  • The story was just a bit too predicable and I didn't really care about any of the characters... And near the end of the book, I also didn't understand why character T acted the way he did and it wasn't fully explained. 
  • I did keep reading just to see if it'd get better - I have to say her writing is easy to read, but the story just seemed too neat... 
  • I'll probably read the other book I borrowed, just to see if it's just this book... I should probably read another Jodi Picoult book just to see if I really do like her books!
    Quote:
    You can use your past to fuel your future. (p250)

    When I first found out I had cancer, I felt trapped... Then one morning, I woke up with a completely new thought in my mind. I realized that only my body was trapped. My spirit was still free. What an amazing feeling that was! (p513)

    Rating:  




    Have you read this book? 
    If you have, I would love to hear what you think! I'll link your review here if you wish!
    Challenges:
    100+ Reading

    No comments:

    Post a Comment