Pages


Sunday, July 25, 2010

Book Review - Damaged by Pamela Callow











Title: Damaged
Author: Pamela Callow
Year: 2010
Page: 453
Genre: Fiction - Murder/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

New to me author? Yes
Read this author again? Maybe
Tearjerker? No
Where did it take place? Canada
FTC Disclosure: Part of Crazy Book Tours

Summary (from goodreads.com):
Haunted by the death of her sister, and wounded by her ex-fiance's accusations, Kate Lange throws herself into her new career at a high-powered law firm. When the grandmother of a lonely private school student seeks her counsel, Kate thinks it's just another custody case. Until the teen is brutally murdered. And it isn't only Kate who wonders if her legal advice led to the girl's death. Put on notice by Randall Barrett, the firm's charismatic managing partner, Kate must fight for her career, for her reputation -- and for redemption. Unwilling to live with the damage she has caused, Kate pursues the case on her own and unearths some chilling facts. Facts that lead straight to the heart of a legal conspiracy. Facts that lead Kate directly into the surgically-skilled hands of the Body Butcher.

First Sentence:
Springtime in Halifax was not known for its warmth or sunshine.
 
Why did I pick this book?
I signed up to read this book as part of the Crazy Book Tours - I have always enjoyed reading murder / mystery / thriller / suspense books (don't ask me to define these categories! I just lump them together), so thought I'd give this new author a try!


My thoughts:
  • It's not bad for a debut novel! It was pretty fast paced, and the main characters are likable
  • However, probably because I used to read primary this genre, I have high expectations... so the plot falls a little short for me and it was a little predictable
  • It was an enjoyable read - I don't usually read chicklit, so this type of books are my guilty pressure. By the same token, once you're done reading the book, you tend to forget most of it already... which may not be a bad thing if you intend to read to escape and just want to read for fun! (Okay, some people may not find reading murder books 'fun'... )
  • I'd say this book is more along the line of Elizabeth Lowell's books than say, Jeffery Deaver or Tess Gerritsen or Kathy Reichs which provide a bit more forensic / technical details

    Quote:
    The older I get, the more I see how the mind returns to its childhood. (p208)

     
    Rating: 3 Stars



     
    Have you read this book? 
    If you have, I would love to hear what you think! I'll link your review here if you wish!


    Challenges:
    100+ Reading

    1 comment:

    1. I haven't heard of this one, look forward to hearing more about it before I decide to put it on my Wishlist.

      ReplyDelete