Pages


Saturday, January 1, 2011

Book Review - PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern













Title: PS, I Love You 
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Year: 2005
Page: 512
Genre: Fiction - Chick Lit

New to me author? Yes
Read this author again? Probably not...
Tearjerker? No
Where did it take place? Ireland
FTC Disclosure: Borrowed from the library

Summary (from goodreads.com):
A novel about holding on, letting go, and learning to love again.
Now in paperback, the endearing novel that captured readers' hearts and introduced a fresh new voice in women's fiction.

Holly couldn't live without her husband Gerry, until the day she had to. They were the kind of young couple who could finish each other's sentences. When Gerry succumbs to a terminal illness and dies, 30-year-old Holly is set adrift, unable to pick up the pieces. But with the help of a series of letters her husband left her before he died and a little nudging from an eccentric assortment of family and friends, she learns to laugh, overcome her fears, and discover a world she never knew existed.

The kind of enchanting novel with cross-generational appeal that comes along once in a great while, PS, I Love You is a captivating love letter to the world!

Cecelia Ahern, the 22-year-old daughter of Ireland's prime minister, holds a degree in Journalism and Media Communications. She has completed her second novel, Rosie Dunne, and is at work on her third. She lives in Dublin, Ireland.


First Sentence:
Holly held the blue cotton sweater to her face and the familiar smell immediately struck her, an overwhelming grief knotting her stomach and pulling at her heart. 
  
Why did I pick this book?
One of my friends watched the movie and really loved it, so I thought I'd read the book... (haven't watched the movie)


My thoughts:
  • You'd think after my last book, Simply from Scratch, I'd stay away from chick lit. However, since it dealt with a similar topic to Simply from Scratch (young window again), I thought I'd compare the two, and see if I really just don't like this genre...
  • Well, I guess I liked PS, I Love You, a tad better but not by much. The premise was interesting, but again the husband and marriage was way too perfect that it didn't seem realistic. Holly also seemed a bit immature (or maybe I am just too old... even though I am supposed to be just slightly older than her.) I could see why it got made into a movie and why other girls may like it, but I just didn't really find it too funny or sad... again I just couldn't quite connect to the characters or their emotions (and I really don't think it's because I am NOT a window. We don't have any children, but there are other books about losing children that just pained me.)
  • I haven't watched the movie, but somehow couldn't quite picture Hilary Swank as Holly?  Some reviews also said the movie was somewhat different from the book, so maybe I'd like the movie better? Even though I don't usually like chick flicks, but I did like (NOT LOVE) some, like My Best Friend's Wedding and My Big Fat Greek Wedding etc.
  • And gosh, did Holly GIGGLED a lot. She giggled 3 times on one single page. 
  • The story almost seemed too predictable, and the ending a bit anti-climatic. I think, if the book was shorter (over 500 pages), perhaps the story would have moved faster. 
  • Well, I guess Chick Lit really isn't for me... 



Rating: 2 Stars



 
Have you read this book? 
If you have, I would love to hear what you think! I'll link your review here if you wish!


Challenges:
100+ Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment