Pages


Friday, January 1, 2010

2010 Vietnam War Reading Challenge


War Through the Generations is hosting the Vietnam War challenge. More info here.


  • From January 1, 2010, through December 31, 2010.
  • This year you have options when reading your fiction, nonfiction, graphic novels, etc. with the Vietnam War as the primary or secondary theme.
  • Books can take place before, during, or after the war.  Books from other challenges count so long as they meet the above criteria.
  • Optional group review midway through the challenge on Paco’s Story by Larry Heinemann.  We will warn you that this book can be quite graphic and disturbing, so it is not for the faint of heart.
  • Three levels:
  • Dip: Read 5 books in any genre with the Vietnam War as a primary or secondary theme.
  • Wade: Read 6-10 books in any genre with the Vietnam War as a primary or secondary theme.
  • Swim: Read 11 or more books in any genre with the Vietnam War as a primary or secondary theme.

My thoughts:

I had been reading a few books on war/military, but have not read anything on the Vietnam war yet, so why not. I think I'll read 5 books, just so I will have time to read other books too.

Recommended Reading list here.

Anna from Diary of an Eccentric has posted her list here.

My list:
  1. Semper Cool: One Marine's Fond Memories of Vietnam by Barry Fixler
  2. TBD
  3. TBD
  4. TBD
  5. TBD

ETA: I browsed through the library's online catalog and came up with a potential list of books.

    3 comments:

    1. Thanks for joining the challenge. We look forward to the group read.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I look forward to seeing what you decide to read for this one, Christa. I plan to join in on the group read as well.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm so glad you've signed up for our challenge. I can't wait to see what books you choose.

      --Anna
      Diary of an Eccentric

      ReplyDelete